In the late 1800's, the Colorado high country was settled by a pioneering people. Our roots started in Red Cliff Church over 100 years ago at the first church to be chartered in Eagle County. This church was located close to the confluence of Turkey Creek and the Eagle River.
As the railroad industry gained momentum, the Town of Minturn sprang up ten miles down river from Red Cliff. In 1914 another church was chartered in Minturn. Starting in the 1940's, this church became the center of Presbyterian worship for several decades. For some of this time, Red Cliff and Minturn shared the services of one Pastor. During the 1980's, as the population and the ski industry were growing along I-70 corridor, there were PC (USA) worship services in four pulpits- Red Cliff, Minturn, the Vail Chapel and the Beaver Creek Chapel.
By the time the 1990's arrived, it was not practical to maintain four preaching points, but the worshipers, in what was then the Presbyterian Parish of Minturn and Red Cliff, realized they were outgrowing their available facilities. In 1998 they made the radical decision to die to self in order to move, literally and spiritually into the 21st century. Like those pioneers who came before us, ERPC anticipates our legacy as a pioneering people, understanding fully that the landscape into which we have entered is just as untamed and unpredictable as the natural wilderness over a century ago.
Eagle River Presbyterian Church(ERPC) moved into its current building next to the Eagle River in Eagle-Vail in December 2002. In 2013, due to the continued growth in number of families and children attending worship, the church began a major expansion project. The Journey Continues Capital campaign was a major success raising over $1.7 million. The church added 30% more capacity in the sanctuary. In addition, added a Fellowship Hall and expanded the kitchen. Also the lower level was remolded to handle all of the Children and Youth Ministries.
ERPC continues on "Journeying Together to Know Christ's Love and to Make Christ Known" and "To be a community of believers witnessing to the Heart of Jesus Christ in the heart of the Vail Valley."